Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Semolina Sweetheart Rolls

These lovelies are simply a variation of the Semolina Bread I posted last. I added a splash of molasses for an extra flavor boost and formed them in muffin tins. My kids were delighted to discover that they look like hearts.
I have a new absolute favorite jam - Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves. My local grocery store carries it, and it is a slice of heaven! No nasty corn syrup to sully the flavor of the marvelous concoction of ripe cherries and sugar. It's totally amazing on these rolls and we've also found it to be delicious inside crepes with a dollop of whip cream and a few slivered almonds.
~~~
Semolina Sweetheart Rolls
~~~
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 t. active dry yeast
3 T. butter
3 T. molasses
4 T. honey
3/4 t. kosher salt
1 1/2 cups semolina flour
1 1/2-2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
~~~
In a medium bowl dissolve the yeast in the water until softened. Stir in the butter, molasses, honey, salt and semolina flour and let this mixture rest for 10-15 minutes until it begins to rise and bubble.
~~~
Stir in enough all purpose flour until it forms a nice glob, then sprinkle a generous amount over the top and knead it in, adding more flour as needed until it forms a smooth and elastic ball, about 5-6 minutes.
~~~
Drizzle a small amount of oil over the dough and turn to coat until the bowl and the dough ball are evenly and lightly oiled. Cover bowl with a towel and set aside to rise until it is doubled, about 70 minutes.
~~~
Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide into 24 equal chunks. Form each into a ball and place two balls into each well of a regular sized muffin pan that has been misted with cooking spray. Let rise until nearly doubled, about 20-30 minutes, then bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
~~~
Immediately after removing them from the oven, rub a pat of butter over the tops, then remove to a wire rack. Serve immediately or store in a ziplock bag once completely cooled and reheat before serving.
~~~
Makes 12 rolls

4 comments:

Wic said...

they are so pretty I just have to go buy a new muffin pan just for this.
I too like Bonne Maman Preserves, but having two cupboards full of the bounty from last years garden madness I will have to eat my own.

Carroll Conversations said...

I happened to be letting my baby air dry his bottom for a few minutes, when I happened to look at this blog and saw the cute resemblence of my baby's bum-cheeks with that first picture. Sorry, hope I didn't ruin it for anyone, but had to share because it made me laugh. Hope it makes you smile too Heidi. I definitely see the heart too, I just saw the cheeks first. =)

Nurse Heidi said...

Confession time, Krista. They first looked like a bum to me too, but I couldn't very well name them buttocks rolls! (That's my inner nurse slippingout...everything looks like bodily fluids and parts ;)...)

Tycksen Family said...

Heidi-

For our Relief Scoiety Meeting in February we are putting a resource page together for finding yummy resipes on the web. Can I include this blog on that page?

Everything looks YUMMY!