Monday, August 3, 2009

Zucchini Cookies

It's that time of year again--when zucchini squash is prolific and everyone is ready to share their harvest of the green summer goddess. I happen to love the stuff and find its diversity rather amazing. When were were younger, my mom would make zucchini for lunch. She would fry it up and then dump a can of ravioli in the pan and grate some cheese to warm, melt, and ooze through the unusual concoction (this is before we knew much about saturated fat). It was so GOOD. I haven't made it for years, but you better believe I'm going to whip up a small batch the next chance I have. In the meantime, here is one of my favorite sweet zucchini recipes. I happened upon an episode of ABC 4's Good Things Utah last summer and they made the most lovely lemon zucchini cookies I have ever had the pleasure of partaking. Happy harvest to all!Recipe from viewer Linda Storer

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 cup margarine or butter (USE real butter, please)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unpeeled, shredded zucchini
1 cup raisins (I USE CRAISINS)
Instructions:
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar till light. Beat in egg and lemon peel till fluffy. Add flour, stir till smooth. Stir in Zucchini and walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets. Bake 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
Frost cooled cookies with 1 cup powdered sugar and l 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice mixed well.

4 comments:

Lisle said...

I love that show!! And zucchini, too. Still trying to convert the kiddles, though.

Anonymous said...

We've got zucchini up to our eyeballs, I'll have to give these a try!

SnoWhite said...

these sound great!

Patti said...

Hey, Linda lives in my neighborhood!