Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cauliflower Soup

The cauliflower soup came about as a result of a series of strange and seemingly unrelated events. First, there has been an unidentifiable stench coming from our refrigerator. This is very unusual, as I am a psycho about keeping our refrigerator cleaned out and semi-organized. So, I went on the warpath this morning & found the culprit. In the process, I discovered a fresh head of cauliflower. For months, I've been wanting to try a mashed/whipped cauliflower or cauliflower soup. Today was the day for such experimentation.

This is the recipe started with and altered to suit my needs.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I only had salted butter & it was fine)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
  • 1 potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups vegetable stock (I used one can of chicken broth)
  • 2 cups milk (I used one cup of evaporated milk & one cup skim milk)
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in the butter for 5 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower and potato and saute for 5 more minutes.
  2. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Add the milk, stirring well to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I blended mine together so it was a smooth soup. It was LOVELY. . . just lovely.

No comments: