Monday, May 19, 2008

Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Brownies

So, yesterday in my desire to be spiritual and try to better myself, I listened to a talk by J.R. Holland given in October 2005 entitled "To Young Women." In fact, I listened to it again this morning. Elder Holland pleads with women--young and old to recognize that they are divine--regardless of shape or size. He urges women to be happy with there bodies. What does that have to do with this food blog? Well, I'll tell you. I've been inspired to love my short and sturdy body. I'm tired of sacrificing my time baking because of a fear that I'll eat all of my baked goods and gain 3000 pounds! I'm taking a stand against air-brushed magazine covers, and the stupid Victoria's Secret catalog that haunts my mailbox monthly. I refuse to let the media tell me that I'm not the perfect size! I'm going to make myself a damned pan of freaking awesome brownies & if my hot body wants to eat the entire pan--SO BE IT!

Here's my first attempt at facing newfound physical freedom.

Double Peanut Butter Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
from bakingblonde.blogspot.com
3/4 cup butter, very soft (not melted but softer than room temp)
1 cup sugar
1 TBS vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Swirl
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cups creamy PB
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

5-6 Reese's peanut butter cups (regular size) cut into 6-8 pieces each

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8" square pan with foil and lightly coat with PAM cooking spray. (This really helps when removing brownies from the pan and slicing them.)

In a microwave safe bowl melt the two baking chocolate squares in 30 second intervals stirring after each interval until smooth and melted after stirring. Be very careful not to burn the chocolate. Remove from microwave and allow to come to room temperature.

In a large mixing bowl, Beat together butter and sugar until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until blended. Add vanilla and melted chocolate. Mix to combine. Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and whisk together. Gradually stir dry ingredients into butter mixture. Do not over mix the batter.

In separate mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, peanut butter sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add egg and beat until just combined.

Spread about 2/3 of chocolate brownie batter into prepared pan. Evenly drop 1/2 of cheesecake batter in dollops over brownie batter. Run a knife through both mixtures to slightly swirl.


Dollop remaining brownie batter and cheesecake batter over swirled mixture. Run knife through the brownie and cheesecake dollops (not all the way through the already swirled layer) to create a swirled pattern.

After approx. 35-40 minutes of baking, gently place cut up Reese's cups over the top of the almost fully baked brownies. Finish baking (about 5-7 minutes) until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few crumbs stuck to it. Remember that this is your guide, do not over bake or they will be too hard, do not under bake or they will be too gooey. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving. I even stuck them in the fridge after they were cool to make them easier

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I've had a raging sweet tooth for the last week, and this one looks fabulous. I've gotta take dessert to a family dinner this weekend, and this one looks like it'd hit the spot.

sassy2 said...

Wow! I hope I can be as free about my image! These look great!