Monday, January 7, 2008

Frog Eye Salad

I love this salad although I'm not sure why. I could eat it any time--even for dessert. I hadn't had it for a long time but made it while we were visiting in Utah over the holidays and remembered once again how much I love it. I got the recipe from the back of a box of acini de pepe (the Ronzoni brand, I believe) several years ago and use it because it doesn't require any eggs as most frog eye salad recipes do.

1 1/3 c. acini de pepe, uncooked
1 can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve ¼ c. juice)
1 ¾ c. milk
¼ c. sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding
1 can crushed pineapple, drained (I don't usually use this.)
2 cans mandarin orange segments, drained
2 c. frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed

Cook pasta 11 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain well. In large bowl, beat reserved pineapple juice, milk, sugar, and pudding 2 minutes. Gently stir in pasta and remaining ingredients; cover. Refrigerate at least 5 hours. 12 servings.

No comments: