So, my friend, Heidi has called for some leftover turkey recipes. In the spirit of the holiday, I'd like to share one I spotted on the Rachel Ray Show yesterday while Kimmy & I were waiting for Studio 5 taping. It's called Thanksgiving Stromboli & it looks quite tasty.
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough, recommended brand Pillsbury
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornmeal
- 1 cup leftover cranberry sauce
- 3 cups leftover turkey, shredded
- 2 cups leftover stuffing
- 2 cups aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO. . .one of the things I dislike about R.R.)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 cups leftover gravy
Yields: 4 servings
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Break open the tube of dough and remove it from container. Dust your hands and lightly cover your work surface with flour or cornmeal. Roll or stretch the dough out slightly then cut it lengthwise and across to make four sections.
Spread a spoonful of cranberry sauce across one section on a diagonal.
Layer the turkey and stuffing down the middle of the dough going from one corner to the opposite corner in a diagonal line. Cover the turkey and stuffing with the cheddar. (Be careful not to overstuff the stromboli or they won't wrap up!)
Tuck the two corner edges over the filling -- you should have turkey mixture running down the middle with some filling exposed at each end.
Brush with EVOO then sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and pat them into the dough. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until evenly golden. Serve with leftover hot gravy alongside.