Monday, November 5, 2007



Minty Brownies
Prior to St. Patrick's Day 2007, my roommate Angie did not like brownies. But I made these and all of a sudden she changed her mind. In fact, since it is her last week in NYC, I asked her what she wanted for her last treat, and she requested these brownies. For this recipe, I used my go-to brownie recipe. I found the mint frosting at allrecipes.com, and tweaked it a little. Here we go!
Brownie Part:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and grease with cooking spray.
In a saucepan, melt:
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup unsalted butter
When completely melted remove the saucepan and stir in:
2 cups granulated sugar (sometimes I like to do half brown/half granulated)
3 eggs (stirring after each egg)
Next, add:
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 cup of flour
Pour mixture into prepared pan, and bake for 35 minutes. When done, let them cool completely before frosting with the mint stuff. *Really try not to overcook them. They taste so much better when the brownie is moist and fudgey. Is that a word?
The Mint Frosting
On high speed mix together:
6 Tbs softened butter
3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tbs milk
2 tsp mint extract
1-2 drops green food coloring (totally optional)
Mix until light and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cooled brownies.
The Chocolate Glaze
In a saucepan melt the following:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
4 Tbs butter
Before everything is completely melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Pour over the frosting, and carefully spread evenly over the frosting. Chill until set. I use the foil to easily lift the brownies out of the pan for easier cutting.

3 comments:

michelleyv said...

Mere--I was wondering if you'd mind whipping up a batch of the delectable sounding brownies and bringing them to me in a box straight from NYC? Is that possible? Just let me know.

merebuff said...

Hmmm...don't know when I'll be heading back to Utah. How about I make them when you come to visit. Or maybe I'll make you the coconut version.

michelleyv said...

Deal! Oh, and the coconut version. Double DEAL.