Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Fascinating cookbook

I'm a major cookbook junky. Some girls collect shoes or clothes...I'm very simple in those areas. But give me a good cookbook with a nice full color picture of every recipe and I'm set for a good hour or more. This one was brought to my attention by a friend (apparently it was featured on Oprah, though since I never watch daytime TV I missed that segment). I've been thumbing through it the past few days and trying to decide whether or not to try any of the recipes. The major premise behind it is to sneak more nutrition into foods that your kids will eat by adding vegetable purees. Mac n' cheese with squash puree, brownies with spinach puree, and even chocolate pudding with avocado puree. I told Alan about it and he promptly denounced it as trickery and declared that it's mean to try to sneak that past your kids. I believe there's a lot of validity in teaching your kids to just eat their vegetables for goodness sake, but I also don't think it's a bad idea to boost their vitamin intake. I took the concept and put it into practice by mashing up great northern beans and mixing them in with the monterey jack cheese in some enchiladas I made the other day, and the kids didn't pick up on it. I just submitted that recipe to this contest, so until they close entries I won't post it.

In the meantime, I think I'll just stick with adding pumpkin to everything : ). I know this has been posted before on my blog and Michelle's, but it's also one of the most oft-requested recipes in my arsenal, so here you go again:

Ryan's famous pumpkin chocolate chip waffles

1 1/4 c. flour

2 T. sugar

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. each cinnamon, ginger, salt

1/8 t. nutmeg dash of cloves

Whisk dry ingredients together and then fold in:

1 egg

6 T. canned pumpkin puree

2 T. melted butter

1 c. milk

1/4 c. mini chocolate chips

Cook in your waffle iron until tasty golden brown and douse with butter and maple syrup. I can't vouch for the nutritional quality of it, but boy they sure taste good. Pumpkin's got a lot of vitamins, right?? Also, these freeze well once fully cooled, and can be reheated in a toaster for a quick breakfast.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

I saw this on Oprah. I, too, was concerned about the value of teaching that vegetables are good to your kids. I was really happy to hear Jessica Seinfeld address this issue - she said she still includes "real" veggies (puts whole broccoli on the plate next to the mac n' cheese w/ the hidden veggies). But now she just doesn't worry about the struggle to get them to eat it, because she knows they're getting it either way.

Mrs. James Quigley said...

I made these waffles a couple of weeks ago (for dinner, btw) and they were delicious!

michelleyv said...

Those pumpkin waffles are "THE BOMB." Kimmy and I made them for our friend, Kirsti on Sunday morning. They are straight from heaven.

Patti said...

It's nice to know there are others out there in the world who can be entertained for hours by reading a cookbook.