Monday, February 7, 2011

Triple Layer Brownies

I'm a big fan of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.  We were given a copy as newlyweds and it is a solid go-to book for all of your basic cooking needs, plus I'm discovering a lot of more adventurous stuff in it lately.  Because you can never have too many cookbooks, my sister gave me the BH&G 75th anniversary edition a couple of years ago when I spied a recipe in her copy that I was dying to have.  It has a fun section in the back that highlights favorite recipes from each decade.  This one caught my eye a few days ago, and we happily devoured most of the pan aside from the few I managed to tuck into the cute box in the picture to give to a friend.  I made a few modifications from the original recipe, mostly just in the amount and quantity of chocolate.  I used milk chocolate chips because that's what I had on hand.  It calls for unsweetened chocolate.  I thought they came out delicious with the milk version.  I also added some short flake unsweetened coconut to the crust base, which I often do to cookies because it lends a lovely chewiness and also seems to help them stay moist and soft for longer.

Triple Layer Brownies


1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 T. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup short flake unsweetened coconut (optional)

1 egg
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips (original recipe calls for 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate)
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. baking powder

1/2 cup milk or semisweet chocolate chips (original recipe calls for 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate)
2 T. butter
1 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1-2 T. hot water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, and baking soda.  Stir in the 1/2 cup melted butter.  Pat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 11x7" pan and bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the middle layer, stir together the egg, granulated sugar, 2/3 cup flour, milk, 1/4 melted butter. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring well in between, until smooth.  Stir into the batter and add the vanilla and baking powder and stir until smooth.  Spread in an even layer over the crust.  Bake 25 minutes more, then cool on a wire rack while preparing the next layer.

In a medium saucepan, heat and stir the chocolate and 2 T. butter until melted.  Stir in the powdered sugar and 1/2 t. vanilla.  Stir in enough hot water to make a mixture that is almost pourable.  Spread over the brownies and allow to set up before cutting into squares to serve.

These are very rich, so I suggest cutting them into 1" squares to serve.  I think they'd be marvelous with other flavors thrown in, particularly peanut butter in the crust.

No comments: