Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Zucchini Overload

I have been the recipient of an abundance of zucchini.  Turns out that you don't even have to have a garden to wind up with a good stash - I have some very generous neighbors.  I have experimented with a number of ways to use it, including these zucchini brownies.  They were very tasty and very moist.  The dough was a little weird as I mixed it - so dry and crumbly that I couldn't fathom how it was going to possibly come together - so I added an egg, then stirred in the grated veggies and voila!  It worked.  I would make them again.

I also experimented with pan frying 1/4" slices.  I first sliced the rounds and sprinkled them with kosher salt while I put together the rest of the ingredients.  I beat an egg with a teaspoon of water for egg wash, then mixed together a half cup each of panko bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, and a half teaspoon each of salt, garlic powder and dried basil.  I patted each slice dry, dipped it into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, then fried it in a thin layer of olive oil for about 4 minutes on each side until the coating was nice and crispy.  They came out tasty and would be excellent served with marinara for dipping.

Probably the favorite baked good variation of all, though, was the Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Our Best Bites.  I was in a big hurry when I was putting it together and forgot the cinnamon sugar topping, but it was still devoured quickly by my coworkers and family.  I baked the batter in mini loaf pans rather than the two larger ones originally called for, and they came out great.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

2 cups flour
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking soda
6 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. canola oil
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. sour cream
3 c. grated zucchini
3/4 c. mini chocolate chips

Topping:
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. white sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease either 2 large loaf pans or 6 minis.  Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Whisk together flour, cinnamon, soda, salt and cocoa powder in small bowl and set aside.  In a medium bowl, beat together oil, sugars and eggs, then add in vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.  Gently stir in the zucchini, then fold in the flour mixture.  Last of all, stir in the chocolate chips. 

Divide the batter evenly between pans and sprinkle topping over each.  Bake large loaf pans for 50-60 minutes, small pans for 35-40, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let loaves cool for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

Megan said...

We've just been introduced to this concoted recipe, which may be too base for you, but it is awfully delicious:

Slice your squash or tomatoes into thick pennies/rounds.

Pour or brush some Italian salad dressing over the top.

Sprinkle with steak seasoning.

Top with Mozzarella cheese.

Grill or broil for 10 minutes.

Also works well on a pizza crust.