Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Fast fixing appetizer - Caprese Bites

Ever have one of those panic moments when you find out that you're supposed to take an appetizer to a party that's only a couple hours out?  Yeah...that might have happened to me this week.  I am pleased to say that my kitchen is finally almost in working condition, and that the only major appliance I am now lacking is the cook top, but I didn't feel like heating the house up to bake anything.  The solution was a four ingredient favorite and so simple to assemble that a kid could do it.  For this particular batch, I used cubed aged mozzarella cheese rather than the divine fresh stuff, but that was only because Costco failed me on the fresh mozzarella front that day.  I much prefer it, but either way it's tasty.  I am not listing quantities because that entirely depends on how many you want to make, and I trust that you can figure out how to count out equal amounts of cheese, tomatoes and basil leaves.

Caprese Bites

Mozarella cheese, either fresh small balls or aged cut into 3/4" cubes
Grape tomatoes
Balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing of your choice
Fresh basil leaves

Drizzle the salad dressing over the mozarella cheese and tomatoes in a medium bowl until evenly coated.  On round (non-colored) tooth picks, thread a tomato, a basil leaf and a piece of cheese.  Chill until serving time.

No comments: