Monday, June 14, 2010

Amy's Rhubarb Custard Pie


This recipe comes to us via my sister Amy, who got it from her coworker, who got it from...I don't know.  The gist is that a recipe that's passed around that much generally speaks well for it.  I made the most fortunate discovery at Costco of reasonably priced vanilla beans and split them in half with Amy, and she used one of the beans to make "the best vanilla ice cream ever" that you see accompanying the pie.  It's definitely on my list to make as soon as my kitchen is put back together.

Rhubarb is one of those interesting ingredients that grows on you.  Tart and tangy, it's not particularly wonderful on it's own, but add the right ingredients to it and you can create something magical.  Amy included the quote below with her email to me, and it cracked me up.  Had to include it.  Happy cooking :).

"There's nothing like a piece of rhubarb pie to take the taste of shame and humiliation out of your mouth!" -- A Prairie Home Companion

Rhubarb Cream Pie


Pastry for a double crust pie of your choosing

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/4 cup flour

3/4 tsp. nutmeg

3 slightly beaten eggs

4 cups cut-up rhubarb

2 Tbsp. butter



Fit a 10-inch pie plate with pastry. Set aside. Blend sugar, flour and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Add eggs, beat until smooth. Add 1/4 tsp. of red food coloring. (This I didn't do, and you will see, my pie is very un-red.) Stir in rhubarb, pour in pie shell and dot with butter. Top with lattice crust. Bake at 400 for 50-60 minutes. Cool. This pie is better after it has cooled and set a while.

Variation: Use a french topping instead of the lattice crust.

No comments: