Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cheddar Bacon Cornbread Muffins

These are a fantastic accompaniment for a hearty bowl of soup.  I took the basic cornbread muffin recipe out of my trusty Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and simply added some whole kernel corn, shredded bacon and cheddar cheese with very pleasing results.  I think they'd be awesome with pepper jack cheese, but in deference to the wimpy taste buds in my house I stuck with cheddar.  I ate the last one the next day and it was nice and moist.  I'll definitely make these again.

Cheddar Bacon Cornbread Muffins

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (I used yellow)
2-3 T. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup whole kernel corn, fresh or canned, drained
1/4 cup shredded real bacon bits
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and generously mist a regular sized muffin pan with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.  In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk and oil.  Add the liquid to the flour mixture all at once and stir until just moistened.  Fold in the corn, bacon and cheddar cheese and spoon equal amounts into the muffin cups.  Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown and the tops spring back when you depress lightly with your finger.  Serve immediately or remove to a wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I have yet to cook muffins at 400 degrees or for that matter any type of pastry...
My ovens seem to function at 350 or 375...

Nicole said...

But I am going to try your corn muffins...they sound delicious!