Friday, January 15, 2010

Pizza "casserole"

Not a big fan of casseroles here. I can hardly bring myself to call this a casserole, but it is what it is. I can guarantee that you'll NEVER get a recipe from me on this blog that starts with canned cream of crud soup. Their resemblence to unfortunate bodily discharge is too strong. But every now and then I do need to resort to something that's quick to put together and doesn't require last minute fuss, and this totally fit the bill. Best of all, every person at the table cleaned their plate and pronounced it tasty. Victory!

8 ounces small pasta - shells, elbows or similar
1 jar any flavor spaghetti sauce
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozarella cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Kosher salt
Coarse pepper
1 cup mini pepperonis or regular size cut into quarters

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook the pasta in salted water to al dente according to package directions. Drain thoroughly and dump into a 9x13 baking pan that has been misted with cooking spray. Pour the spaghetti sauce over the pasta and stir until well coated.

In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon globs of it evenly dispersed over the pasta mixture, and lightly stir. Sprinkle the pepperonis in an even layer, then sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of it all.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden on top. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, I tried this but instead of using pepperoni I used Canadian bacon and pineapple! It was great!

I know *he who shall not be named* doesn't like fruit in the pizza! :)

His loss! ha ha

Nurse Heidi said...

LOL! That sounds like a great twist! I'll have to do it when he's out of town...

I made a skillet sort of version of this yesterday that I'll post when I get the pics off the camera. I'm limited to rockin' the electric skillet at the moment, but it came out very good. The kids were all thrilled to have real food.