Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Super-de-duper Pumpkin Bread

Snow outside = baked goods cravings. I was hankering for pumpkin bread this morning and pulled out several of my favorite cook books. I discovered that three of them had the exact same recipe. That's a pretty good indication that a recipe is reasonably fool proof, in my opinion. But I also wanted a crispy sugary topping, so I started tinkering with it. I switched 1/3 of the sugar to brown for a more deep flavor, added some more spices (because plain cinnamon is boooooring), and improvised a topping. The results are delicious! A lovely sugary crust with a perfect, soft, moist interior. I say are, because there is still a little bit of the last loaf up in the kitchen, calling to me...I don't want to confess how much I've already eaten. I made these in mini-loaf form for easy sharing.

Pumpkin Bread of the best sort

2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oil
1 15 ounce can pumpkin (2 cups)
4 eggs
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. each cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom
1/2 t. cloves
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 t. cinnamon
3 T. butter, softened

Combine the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the baking soda, salt, spices and flour and stir until well combined, then stir in the semisweet chips. Mist 6 mini loaf pans with cooking spray and divide the batter equally between them. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon, then work in the softened butter until small clumps form. Sprinkle the clumps evenly over the pans full of batter, then bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before attemping to remove them from the pan.

3 comments:

roamingjones said...

How many mini-loaves did it make?

Nurse Heidi said...

Six :). Enough to eat two, feel a bit guilty, and make friends with four neighbors. I assume it would make two large loaf pans if you don't have minis.

Megan said...

I made this last November, and am making it again tomorrow. Sooo yummy!