Monday, October 12, 2009

Just-right Gingersnaps

Over General Conference weekend, my family converged on my home for the annual stuff yourself and try to stay awake during the next session fest. Amy whipped up a batch of tasty homemade peach ice cream, and I felt that it needed something to complement it. So I pulled this recipe out, given to me by my friend Kierstin, and it was just right. Chewy on the outside, soft on the inside. Her original recipe calls for using all butter, but I find that yields flat cookies. Tasty, buttery and wonderful flat cookies, but still flat. So if you want a little volume, go for the mix of shortening and butter listed below.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 t. cloves
2 t. ginger
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat the butter until fluffy, and gradually add 1 cup of sugar and beat for a couple minutes more. Add the egg and molasses and beat well. Stir dry ingredients into the mixture until well incorporated, then roll into 1 inch balls an roll in cinnamon sugar before placing on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until top is just crackled and barely set. Remove from the oven and allow to rest on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack.

~~~

Variations:  I have added in the zest of one orange, 1 cup of chopped dark chocolate, and 2 T. minced crystallized ginger, then drizzled melted white chocolate on top with amazing results.  Any one of those additions by themselves is also very good.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

perfection!

Emily Marie said...

Oh my goodness, these look SO good, I can't wait to try them. I've had your no-knead rustic bread bookmarked forever and I really need to try that too. :)