Thursday, June 4, 2009

Quick Grilled Fajitas

Ever get that hankering for fajitas at 5:30? A little late to start marinating meat. I used to always fry my fajitas up in a skillet with everything pre-cut. I've lately found that I definitely prefer grilled anything, and that grilling fajitas in whole chunks then slicing them after yields tasty results. Of course, the meat is better marinated. But if you're a slacker like me, you can still pull off a really good meal in 30 minutes flat that will fool your hubby into thinking you slaved all day in the kitchen.
Oooooh, grill mark perfection! After being the head griller at our house for the last 4 years or so since we got the gas BBQ, I'd say that I've finally hit my stride. Lately I've had to clear bird nest beginnings out every time I fire it up, even though it gets used at least 2-3 times per week. The birds haven't gotten the hint yet.
I'm not a fan of raw onions, but grilled, and especially a bit on the charred side, I can't get enough of them! I have been known to snitch chunks right off the grill.
Peppers too. The more colors the better. Red and green are usually always available. Sometimes the orange and yellow ones are reasonably priced enough for me to buy them too. Really, I just can't wait for my garden. The flavor of a garden grown pepper is about 10x as intense.
~~~
On with the recipe:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thawed if you're using frozen)
3-4 limes
1/2 t. each cumin, coriander, garlic powder, salt, chili powder and ground pepper
1/4 t. chipotle chili powder (this is a conservative amount, and can be increased if you like heat)
3 T. honey
3 bell peppers, seeds removed and quartered
1 large purple onion, peeled and cut into 1/4" thick slices
olive oil
~~~
"Fixin's" - warm tortillas, black beans (seasoned with a splash of lemon juice and cumin if desired), diced avocados and tomatoes, minced cilantro, sour cream, salsa and cheese
~~~
Prep the grill by spraying the rack with PAM, then fire it up to medium heat. Squeeze a lime over the chicken breasts. Mix together the seasonings in a small bowl, then sprinkle evenly over the tops of the chicken breasts. Toss them onto the grill and then prep the veggies by drizzling them with olive oil until evenly coated. Squeeze the remaining limes into a small bowl and mix the honey into it. After the chicken has been cooking about ten minutes and is opaque throughout, brush the honey/lime mixture over the spices carefully, then flip over and baste on the back side as well. Put the veggies on the grill at this point and brush them all with the honey/lime mixture. I generally put the peppers on the top rack so that they won't overcook as easily, but the onions do fine on the bottom.
~~~
Once the chicken breasts have reduced in size by about 25% and are nicely bronzed (about another 7-8 minutes of grill time), flip them over one more time and baste them with the honey/lime mixture, then use up whatever is left on the veggies when you flip them as well. Close the lid for another couple of minutes, then remove all of the meat and veggies to a plate. Cover with foil or another plate and let it rest for 3-5 minutes, then slice the meat and veggies into strips.
~~~
Serve immediately with your favorite goodies. I really love the grilled flavor, and the ease of not having to plan ahead.

No comments: