Saturday, January 17, 2009

Spicy Caramel Apple Bars


I was looking through some older postings in the edit mode and saw that I never published this. Originally it was supposed to show up last October or so, but it can be enjoyed anytime really. Pardon the yellow tint to the photo- I should have taken the time to edit it!

Spicy Caramel Apple Bars
1 pkg. spice cake
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
3/4 cup saltine crackers, finely crushed
(about 1/2 stack)
1 jar caramel topping (I used Smuckers)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Blend together the cake mix, butter and egg. Add crackers and mix together. Reserve 1 cup of mixture and press the remaining cake mixture into a greased 13x9 baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and pour the caramel sauce evenly over the cake base. Add the apples, and top with reserved crumb mixture. Bake an additional 20 minutes. The bars will set up as they cool. I think they taste better on the second day.

1 comment:

michelleyv said...

Patti--these sound wonderful. I happen to have a couple of Granny Smith's in my refrigerator. . .guess who's whipping up a batch of these babies tomorrow???