Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bite sized quiches

This is total girl food. My hubby and at least three brother in laws refuse to eat quiche. But I love it, my sisters do, and so do my kids. So of course I had to make these for a bridal shower in which there were lots of girls to help me eat them. The best part is how you can customize them so easily.

2 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts (the rolled up kind)
4 eggs
1 cup milk or half and half
salt and pepper to taste
fillings of your choice - bacon bits, minced roasted red peppers, sharp cheddar cheese, minced spinach, broccoli (I used bacon bits, roasted red peppers and cheese)

Cut mini crusts out with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. You can get up to 15 out of each crust if you are careful, and can re-roll the scraps and get three more (though the re-rolled ones tend to shrink more during cooking). Lightly mist a mini muffin pan with cooking spray, then press each little crust into the bottom and sides of the muffin cups, making sure that you have it firmly pressed into the corners. Beat the eggs and milk together well in a large measuring cup with a spout. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a bit of each filling into each cup, then carefully pour the egg mixture over the filling until the egg is just to the top of the crust. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the quiches are puffed and set. Serve immediately.

I tried freezing some of these, then reheating them in the microwave. They handled it very well. Excellent for future urgent quiche fixes ;).

No comments: