Thursday, August 21, 2008

Giant stromboli

I attempted to sneak some veggies from our garden into this. It backfired. Alan deemed it to be very good, I thought it was very good, but Ethan and Rachel both picked out the sauteed peppers. Ethan told me that they "just fell out" (with a sheepish look on his face). I'll just have to get more creative next time...in the mean time, for those of you with more grown up tastes, give this a try. I think you'll like it.

First, make a batch of pizza crust dough and let it rise until double. Or if you're lazy, buy some of the canned variety. I just can't make myself do it.

Next, slice a whole green or red bell pepper into thin strips and saute it in a tablespoon of olive oil, and season with kosher salt, ground pepper, basil, oregano and garlic powder. Set it aside.

Then choose a pleasing combination of meats and cheeses. I did turkey, ham, swiss and provolone.

Roll your dough out into a big rectangle, roughly 14 inches wide by 10-12 inches tall. Lay down an even layer of one meat and one cheese (I didn't totally "wallpaper" it - it's more important to have it all the way across the width than to have it covering completely top to bottom), then sprinkle the peppers evenly. I also diced up some roasted red peppers from a jar and added those. Lay down the second meat and cheese layer, then fold in an inch of dough on each side and roll from the top down, pressing the seam to seal. Carefully transfer it to a greased baking sheet.

If you want it to look pretty and shiny, beat an egg and brush it on top. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until uniformly golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into 1-2 inch chunks.

No comments: