Makes 2 strudels; total time: 45 minutes
1 box (1.1 lb.) puff pastry dough
2 T. unsalted butter
1 cup frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
1 cup red or green bell peppers, seeded, diced
½ cup onion, diced
1 cup smoked ham, diced
11 eggs (yes, you read that right--11)
2 T. minced fresh chives
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. orange juice
1 T. water
2 T. Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Thaw pastry according to package directions, about 30 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and onion; sauté 3 minutes, then add ham.
4. Whisk eggs and chives together. Add them to the pan and scramble just until set. Season with salt and pepper to taste; off heat, stir in cream cheese and juice until blended. Refrigerate eggs while working with the pastry.
5. Unfold a pastry sheet on a work surface that’s been lightly dusted with flour. Roll pastry lengthwise to 12x10”, then transfer to a piece of parchment cut to fit a baking sheet. Trim pastry, fill with half the egg mixture, and braid as shown here . Repeat with remaining pastry and egg filling. Lift parchment and strudels onto baking sheets.
6. Combine the remaining egg and water; brush over top of strudels. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing.