Monday, February 21, 2011

Pillsbury Bakeoff Time!

Those of you that have hung around here for a while or know me in real life know that I was a finalist in the Pillsbury Bakeoff 5 years ago.  It was rather a fluke, in my opinion.  I made the recipe once.  Stumbled across the contest online a few days later and mentally made the changes appropriate to submit it, sent it off and forgot about it.  6 months later, they called to let me know that I was one of the 100 finalists.  Crazy.

We had a great time on our trip.  I never had any illusions that they would somehow pick my recipe (a salad) as the million dollar winner, so we went with the perspective of just soaking in the experience.  In analyzing the winners from the past few contests, I have come to the conclusion that they are looking for a simple recipe that is easily made even by less experienced cooks that will print nicely on the back of a package.

Make sure that you write out your instructions clearly and include every ingredient on your list.  They will automatically chuck recipes that don't meat those basic criteria.  Read recipes posted on their website to get a feel for how they like the instructions written.  Don't forget to specify things like pan size.  Be sure to read the required ingredients list carefully and makes sure you use the asked for quantities.

Go forth and cook.  Then submit your creations online here:  The Pillsbury Bakeoff.

No comments: